A touch soft and silky, a look so warm that it's often confused with wool, acrylic has become a staple in the universe of clothing. Synthetic Textile often criticized by its detractors, the acrylic is far from unanimous. What kind of fabric behind the name, which do not count as followers ? What are its advantages and its disadvantages ? Overview on this special fabric winter in this article.
Acrylic : synthetic wool
Of course, the fabric in acrylic has its place in the dressing room all season, but it is particularly needed in winter. Why ?
The manufacturing process of the acrylic
As a fabric , synthetic, acrylic, is the result of an industrial manufacturing that uses a chemical process. Actually, its fiber is obtained from a process of polyaddition using mainly acrylonitrile, which constitutes 85 % of the mass of the fiber obtained.
To do this, we proceed by two types of spinning are :
- The dry process : where it dissolves the acrylonitrile in a solvent before allowing it to dry in a chain in order to obtain long filaments solids that will be cut out later.
- The wet process : where you push to warm the solution spinning in the pipeline with a liquid coagulation to obtain continuous fibers which are to be dried subsequently.
What are the properties of an acrylic fiber ?
The manufacturing process of the acrylic fabric gives these few characteristics :
- Insulation : acrylic is an insulating material which holds the air ; a property that it shares with the wool. This property increases with the shape-compressed meshes.
- Warm : the acrylic has a power transfer rate ; this means that it transfers heat. This is why it is often found in hedges.
- Resistant : the acrylic displays a very strength, acid resistance, hence its use in the design of work clothing.
Acrylic : an asset to have in your dressing room
If you take a look in the collection of warm clothing fall-winter BabaCheap, you will fall for sure on a piece of acrylic. Beyond the design, there are many reasons that will help you to prioritise this matter.
The advantages of a fabric-acrylic
Why the acrylic is there on the same pedestal as the wool in the universe of clothing ? In fact, these two materials are merged in the category " wool ".
A fabric quality, but at small price
The acrylic seduces by its sweetness and character , silky texture. Of course, wool is derived from natural fibers, but it causes allergies and itching. However, as the synthetic material resulting from industrial production, the acrylic does not cause any discomfort while providing the same benefits as its natural counterpart. In addition, the acrylic is much less expensive than wool.
A fabric that is easy to maintain
It will be very easy to maintain your sweater or your poncho in acrylic for the simple reason that the fibers do not wrinkle. What you an exemption from a session of ironing and facilitates the storage and transportation of your clothing acrylic.
A fabric that protects against UV rays
Please note that the acrylic is not only for the cold season, even if it is advocated to counter the cold. It is worn all year round, because it displays such a fabric is lightweight and flexible. This point is even more important when it is known that the fibers of the acrylic stops the momentum of the ultra-violet rays.
Like most of synthetic textiles, acrylic blends with other materials natural and synthetic, even if it can be used in a way exclusive. Among the most common combinations include :
The disadvantages of a fabric in acrylic ?
It would be unrealistic to draw up a table without task of the acrylic. Like all synthetics, it presents drawbacks, relating in particular to its manufacturing process.
- The followers of the movement 100 % ecological in the acrylic the same criticisms as for all the other synthetics.
- In the case of combustion, the acrylic gives off carbon dioxide gas and hydrogen cyanide gas, the two gases which are harmful to the human being.
- During the washing in the machine, the acrylic releases many microparticles synthetics that are harmful to the aquatic environment. In addition, these microparticles can be easily passed between the meshes of the wastewater treatment plants.
In short, the acrylic has many benefits-aesthetic, practical and economic. It is no less obsolete some disadvantages, but to each his own choice !